Assigning work to a person or a team is a big challenge. This article covers all the aspects of work assignments.
That is the automation of work assignment, scheduling of work assignment, benefits, and four important information that contains.
Work assignment is the process of allocating work to work centers or appropriate groups/persons.
Automated work assignment
With the help of automatic workflow, work is assigned automatically to the team or a person. ServiceNow is a company that provides applications for automatic workflow.
As soon as work comes it adds the employee/team and assigns the work automatically and it alerts the particular team/employee about the work. It applies to each stage of the work.
The advantage of the automatic assignment is it helps to deliver the project faster by avoiding confusion and rework. Because the task assigns only when all the requirements are completely available.
It also helps to reduce the stress on employees. It saves the project manager’s time because in this auto-assignment manager needs not remind his team about the work. The system only gives notifications to the team.
What are the components of Advanced Work Assignment (AWA)?
The components of advanced work assignments are service channels, work items, work item queues, assignment rules, groups of assignments, the capacity of agents, availability of agents, and inbox layout.
Scheduling of work assignment
Many computer applications are there for scheduling the work. Before uploading the names of the employees in the system, you need to consider some factors that affect the work to be performed.
Once you get the idea about it you can use any method like manual assigning or auto-assigning for scheduling. The factors to be considered are given below.
1. Examine the type of work
For example, some work has to be done in one department. But some work has to be divided between the different departments and those departments has to develop internal work procedures.
2. Analyze the skills of the employees
Each employee has his own skill. So before scheduling the work it is better to make one flowchart of the work process.
After analyzing the skills of employees assign the work in the flowchart to the specified employees. Also, keep one backup person in case the assigned employee is not able to perform the work.
3. Calculate the required time
Go through the flowchart and calculate the time required for each stage of the work or project so that the work process will be streamlined and you complete the work efficiently.
4. Avoid the duplication of work
When you assign laborers to different fundamental processes, there will be a chance of duplicating work because all the works that laborers do are not mentioned in the flow chart.
Hence carefully check the workflow across the organization and make sure there is no duplication of work.
5. Provide a clear idea to the customer
Provide a clear idea to the customer about communication. That means inform him clearly to whom he should communicate to get information about the project and assign a specified person for that.
Considering customer’s expectations is more important to set company standards. It helps to learn the market standards also. It will be achievable when you do a proper work assignment.
Important information that work assignment contains
Work assignment contains mainly these four important pieces of information. They are
- Which task is to be done: Clearly explains to the employees which task to be taken based on priority.
- The reason for doing that task: When you are assigning new work to the employees before the completion of current work, you need to explain the reason behind it.
- What are the standards that completed task should meet: Let employees know about the evaluation of the completed task
- All-motive directions: This means to tell the employees to inform their managers about the completed task and also the problems if any they are facing while doing the tasks.
Benefits of work assignment
- Easy to track who is responsible for which work
- It contains some information like which task to be done as per the priority, what must be the standards of the completed task, etc. It helps the assigned person to do the task efficiently
- By assigning work to a particular team or a person, they come to know which work to do done as per the priority and they do that work efficiently. So that it increases customer satisfaction
Get more definitions about work assignments and other ERP-related terms here.