Reading this article gives you a clear idea of the warehouse zone, types of zones in the storage area of the warehouse and it also gives tips to improve each warehouse zone.
A warehouse zone is a physically or logically segregated area within a warehouse defined by the type of material it contains (bulk or rack storage, hazardous material, etc.) or the division of equipment and personnel used to put away, move and pick.
This warehouse zone system allows you to store the items always in the same locations in the warehouse so that employees can know where the items are stored.
We know that depending on the type of products we have to allocate the zone in the warehouse because some products are required to be stored in the refrigerator, some products can be stored in racks, some products can be stored in bins.
Hence warehouses should have different types of zones.
Different types of zone in storage area of a warehouse
In this zone products that are required to be kept away from moisture can be stored.
It is the most common zone in a warehouse. In this zone, the temperature will be maintained between 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
It is a necessary zone to be there in the warehouse zone storage area. In this zone products that are required to be stored at low temperatures can be kept such as food products, vaccines, etc.
The temperature of this zone will vary from zero to 38-degree Fahrenheit
Some manufacturing companies require chemicals for their manufacturing process. These chemicals should be stored safely in an approved storage cabinet.
In this zone, acids can be stored. This zone should be located separately where the corrosive materials like acids will not come in contact with other items.
Gas cylinder storage
Gas cylinders must be stored separately in the warehouse. It is very needful to follow safety measures like the usage of carts and safety chains while transporting the gas cylinders in the warehouse.
Some products need more space because they will not fit on normal shelves. For that products this zone is useful.
Valuable items such as brand-name pharmaceuticals can be stored in this zone.
Few tips to develop each warehouse zone
Following are the few warehouse zones you should have in your warehouse and some points to develop each warehouse zone
- Set dust-free surfaces in the product storage area.
- Have good quality, rust-free shelves so that stored products will not be affected by rust.
- When your storage area is completely occupied then have added storage overhead so that you can expand your storage area.
- To increase your storage capacity you can also use compact storage and mobile storage shelves.
- Have shelves and racks that are suitable to your product dimension.
Pick and fix zone
- Set a good outline for the picking zone. While setting the picking zone consider the product size and product rotation
- Improve the connection between the zones by having automated system like box conveyor
- you can also have automated picking equipment
Product receive and dispatch zone
- Have a good warehouse management system to control traffic at goods receiving and dispatching area.
- Assign a proper place to the trucks while loading and unloading the goods. It helps the smooth flow of goods inside the warehouse
Technical zone to manage equipment
- A technical zone is a place assigned to maintain equipment like charging the batteries for equipment
- Make sure that this zone is in proper environmental condition. That means some instrument needs AC
Warehouse management zone
- Have an admin zone in your warehouse so that the supervisor can always keep in touch with the day to day activities of the warehouse
- Have good computer connection with your company server
Get more definitions about warehouse zone and other ERP related terms here.