Packing department is the area that prepares picked material for shipment by performing the consolidation, packing, marking and documentation tasks required.
The packing department may also be responsible for locating and picking materials for outgoing shipments.
Types of packing
Basically, 3 types of packing takes place in packing department.
- The first layer of packing happens in Primary packing. It protects and preserves the finished product. It also provides information about the products to the customer.
- Secondary packing appears outside of the primary packing. It gives extra protection to the products. It helps to identify the product easily in the warehouse.
- Tertiary packing or final packing helps to handle, transport, and store the products. This packing is usually done with the cartoon box.
How do you improve your product packaging in the packing department?
If you are an employee of a company and working in the packing department, it is necessary to improve your packing system. Here are few tips to improve product packaging.
- Determine who is your customer. According to the customer (male or female), you need to design your pack of the product. While designing a package you need to keep some points in mind. That is what is the information to be expected by your customer when looking for a product.
- Select the proper color and shape of the packaging element for your product.
- If your product is glass items or liquid, make sure that your packing materials are good enough to protect the products.
- The design on the packaging should clearly tell about the product and it should not display misleading information.
- Your packaging must be easy to open. Otherwise, sometimes it affects the product inside, and the product loses its likelihood.
- Specify proper direction about the opening of the package like ‘tear here’ or ‘twist here’.
- The first way of an impression on a product is the packaging. Hence give proper budget and attention to that.
Importance of packing
Product packing helps the manufacturer as well as the customer.
- Product packing helps the client to identify the product inside it. Your packaging gives you a different identity and it differs you from your competitors.
- Packaging helps to protect the product from dust, insects, and breakage. Some products like biscuits, juices need to be packed tightly to protect them from the environmental facts
- It helps to carry and store the products easily
- It helps to promote the products by advertising them. That means your packing itself helps the customer to know about your product.
- Packing of some materials may be useful for re-use.
- Good packing leads to reduce the losses of handling issues so that it reduces the marketing cost.
Different packaging methods used by the packing department of different industries
Packaging methods differ from industry to industry. The most common packaging products are cartoon boxes, wrappers, envelopes, bottles, containers, etc.
But it is important to decide which packaging suites your product. Here some packaging methods
- Plastic packaging: This is the most commonly used packing method. Some products need airtight containers to avoid environmental effects like air, dust. For that kind of product plastic packaging is a good option. With this packing, it is easy to carry the products as it is very lightweight. For example water, oils, milk, yogurt products use plastic packaging.
- Pharma packaging: Pharmaceutical companies practice pharma packaging for medicines. Pharma packaging provides safety to the drugs and helps to identify the drugs while handling and distributing.
- Anti-corrosive packaging: It protects products from corrosion. Generally, this method is used for the goods that are exporting for long-distances.
- Flexible packaging: Usually food products use flexible packaging to retain their taste and flavor.
Get more definitions about the packing department and other ERP related terms here.