Product data management, or PDM, is a term used to describe companies’ processes and tools to manage their product data.
This blog post will discuss PDM and the 6 top PDM software programs available. Stay tuned!
What is Product Data Management (PDM)?
Product Data Management (PDM) is the collection of the organization’s product data and maintenance. This data can include anything from the engineering drawings and BOMs to marketing materials and customer support information.
PDM’s purpose is to ensure that all this data is accessible to everyone who needs it, whether in engineering, manufacturing, or marketing. As a result, companies can avoid duplication of work, ensure consistency across different product versions, and make it easier to bring new products to market quickly and efficiently.
Now let us look into PDM in detail.
PDM system is specifically designed to store and manage the complete information in a more robust and retrievable manner, including computer-aided design (CAD) data, models, parts information, manufacturing instructions, requirements, notes, documents, etc.
If a Product Data Management System can address all the requirements of an organization and is accessible by multiple applications across an organization, it would be considered an ideal PDM system.
Choosing the right PDM software can allow the company to survive in the excessively saturated market.
It stores all the information about the products in an organized, less vulnerable, and retrievable manner.
All the other systems can then leverage the information stored in the PDM system within the company that needs information about the specific product.
This information may include extensive information about the particular product ranging from the raw materials deployed in the manufacturing cycle to how it was manufactured.
The data feed by the PDM system behaves as a source for various business functions, from design to manufacturing.
Ensure the Highest Level of Security
PDM systems store and manage sensitive information about a specific product in a way more secure and manageable form and ensure that all users can appropriately leverage this information throughout the product development lifecycle.
PDM system ensures the highest level of administrative functionality and security features through the proper implementation of role management, project-based security, and access privileges.
The merger of the Bill of Materials BOM data
Product Data Management necessitates the management of BOM data.
The automated system of PDM facilitates the synchronization of BOM data emerging from the different sources and product development lifecycle phases that include as-designed, as-planned, as-managed, and as-maintained states.
PDM system offers the highest level of customization of all the core functionalities, allowing you to perceive BOM data before and after the modifications.
Live demonstration of product development lifecycle encompasses sharing and on-demand visualization of the product and under-the-hood product assemblies and parts without relying on any Cad authoring tool or technical knowledge.
Digital mockup features can reduce the cost incurred on physical prototyping.
Data Management Process
Data management is crucial for all businesses for their overall growth. So while implementing this process, you need to follow the below steps.
1. Decide data architecture
Every work needs a blueprint. Determination of data architecture serves as a blueprint that determines all the databases and software you require for your organization’s data management process.
So it is essential to decide where you want to store your data.
2. Allot responsibilities
While implementing the data management process, ensure who is responsible for which work. Then, assign the work to each person.
Opacity in the team leads to poor data quality. Hence, assign the responsibility to each person.
3. Decide the names for files
Decide standard names for each file so that the user can easily search the file, and he will be able to find out which data is there in that file. Hence you can save time.
4. Data collection
This step will be the essential step in this implementation process. To make critical business decisions, you need valid, real-time data. So collect crucial and necessary data from different sources.
5. Construct a dataset
Once you have collected data, you need to validate the dataset by comparing it with another source and re-arranging it for the following process.
6. Data processing
After completing data validation, convert the data set into one single data so that software can easily understand it.
For example, if you have fields representing the final product like the assembled product, finished product, output product, etc. Just merge them into a single lot, the final product using data processing.
7. Data analyzing
With the help of software, analyze the data to get a better result because computer programming examines data accuracy better than a human.
Record all the previous steps and results in documents and save them with the proper name.
9. Share documents
Share all documents of the data management process with your team members to understand all the implementation steps, standards, and responsibilities.
10. Cooperation between departments
Cooperation and proper communication between departments are crucial to avoid redundancy if your organization is large.
So communicate your process with other departments that avoid uncertainty about the data management process between departments.
Benefits of PDM
These are the well-known benefits of the PDM system.
- Optimize the profitability of the business by reducing the cost incurred on production.
- Minimize the errors and save the expenditure incurred on offsetting casualties and mishaps.
- Enhance the overall productivity of the company and minimize the cycle times.
- Precisely address all the requirements of the business.
- Creates an opportunity for better business decision making
- Facilitate teamwork by allowing the global team to communicate with each other easily.
- Instantly extract the most precise and accurate data.
- Immediately tracks and manages all changes related to product data.
Product Data Management Software
What is PDM software?
PDM software is a type of software that helps companies manage their product data. This can include the product’s design, the engineering specs, the manufacturing process, and the sales and marketing information.
It stores, manage and tracks this data to find and use when needed. It can also help automate some of these processes to be completed quickly and easily.
We’ll be listing some of the well-known PDM software. We hope this list assists our readers in selecting the best appropriate PDM software for their business.
Upchain software offers an intuitive drag-and-drop interface for easy product management.
- Easily manage your product data with custom fields and filters.
- Get real-time updates on your products’ statuses and changes.
- Collaborate with your team in a secure environment.
- Easily integrates with CAD tools and other software
- Connects product development processes
Upchain software is a great option for product data management. The drag-and-drop interface makes it easy to manage your product data, and you can easily customize the fields and filters to fit your needs.
Plus, you’ll have real-time updates on your products’ statuses and changes. And if you need to collaborate with your team, the secure environment ensures that your data is safe.
Finally, if you need to integrate with CAD tools or other software, the Upchain software easily connects product development processes. Overall, we think Upchain software is a great option for product data management.
Upchain is an Autodesk company. It offers three types of pricing models
For exact pricing details, you need to contact upchain.
- It provides an excellent service for BOM and changes management
- You can easily customize the workflows
The user interface is not so good.
2. Autodesk Vault
Autodesk Vault is a product data management software developed by Autodesk. It offers an intuitive drag-and-drop interface and connects product development processes for easy product management.
- Integration with CAD
- Automated design and data reuse
- Concurrent design and scalability
- Accurate and comprehensive BOM
- Integrates PDM with ERP and PLM
- Store and manage product data securely
- Access product data from any location
- Create and share product data with others
Autodesk Vault is an excellent data management software product for businesses of all sizes. It is easy to use and helps to keep product data secure and accessible from any location. It also allows users to create and share product data with others, which makes collaborating on projects much easier. As a result, we think Autodesk Vault is an excellent choice for businesses looking for a product data management solution.
It provides two pricing options Subscription and Flex
In subscription model 2 types plan are there
- Vault office – $195 per year or $555 for three years
- Vault Professional – $770 per year or $2195 for three years
In flex also two types
- Vault office – It costs one token per day
- Vault Professional – It costs three tokens per day
(For 500 to 1000 tokens, $3 per token, for 5000 tokens, $2.93 per token, for 10000 tokens, $2.85 per token)
- You can quickly search and reuse design data.
- Reduces errors with automation and data accessibility.
Two people cant work on a file at a time.
3. Solidworks PDM
Solidworks PDM is an excellent product data management software for businesses of all sizes. It is easy to use and helps to keep product data secure and accessible from any location. It also allows users to create and share product data with others, making collaborating on projects much more accessible.
- Centralizes product data in a secure, reliable system.
- Automate routine tasks and improve workflows.
- Easily share data with stakeholders across the organization.
- Manages data files and documentation.
- Allows to store design data securely and retrieve it easily.
- Collects data from multiple locations.
SolidWorks Enterprise PDM generally comes with the following features and functionalities.
- Bill of Materials Management
- Product Development Lifecycle Management
- Version Control
- Formula Management
- Document Management
- Product Analytics
- Testing Management
Solidworks PDM software is an excellent choice for product data management. It is easy to use and can be customized to meet the needs of your business. In addition, it saves engineers time by avoiding manual handling and updates.
It offers three types of packages
- Solidworks PDM standard
- Solidworks PDM professional
- Solidworks PDM manage
To get pricing details of these packages, you need to contact the vendor
- You can use the software to design and do simulations in the real world.
- It is user-friendly software.
- It helps the user to make modeling very fast.
- Software is expensive with high system requirements
- Unclear error messages
4. Siemens Teamcenter
Siemens Teamcenter software is one of the best product data management software options. It offers many features and capabilities to help businesses manage their product data more effectively.
- Bom management
- Change management
- Document management
- Electrical design management
- Product cost management
Siemens Teamcenter is a comprehensive and robust product data management software option. It offers a vast array of features and capabilities to help businesses effectively manage their product data. This can improve team communication and collaboration, streamline processes, and improve productivity.
The vendor does not provide pricing details. To get it, you need to contact Teamcenter.
- Helps to deliver large products with enhanced productivity.
- Easily integrates with other CAD solutions.
- It offers industry-based solutions like aerospace & defense and Energy.
Sensitive database performance
OpenBOM is a comprehensive product data management software that helps businesses manage their product data more effectively. OpenBOM provides users with a centralized repository for storing and managing product data. It also offers a variety of tools for managing parts, purchases, CAD files, and documents.
- BOM management
- Item management
- Change management
- CAD integration
OpenBOM is a very effective software to manage data that offers a wide range of features and tools to manage product data more efficiently. The software is also relatively easy to use and has a user-friendly interface.
OpenBOM subscription plans are as follows. You can have a monthly or yearly billing plan.
Five types of plans for monthly billing
- User – It is entirely free and for a single user
- Professional user – Costs $65 per user per month
- Professional team – Costs $300 per team per month
- Company – Costs $600 per company per month
- Enterprise – To get details, you need to contact the vendor
Plans for yearly billing
- User – It is entirely free and for a single user
- Professional user – Costs $55 per user per month
- Professional team – Costs $250 per team per month
- Company – Costs $500 per company per month
- Enterprise – To get details, you need to contact the vendor
- Efficient sharing of BOM with other company
- Excellent customer support
Features like engineering change requests need to be improved.
Delogue is a top product lifecycle management software that helps businesses manage their product data more efficiently.
Delogue is specifically designed for the lifestyle industry, and it can adequately address all the requirements of this specific industry.
Delogue accumulates all the product data, appropriately manages the project, and consistently communicates with your development team during the lifecycle workflow.
To enhance accuracy, efficiency, and knowledge accessibility, Delogue stored all the sensitive information in one central place. As a result, Delogue acts as a valuable tool to boost the productivity of your production team.
Delogue can be easily incorporated into your current ERP system, apart from these peculiar functionalities.
- Manage product data and specifications more efficiently
- Keep track of products manage information, and collaborate with team members effectively
- Streamline your workflow for faster product development
- Get real-time feedback from your team and customer
Delogue is one of the best product data management software in the market. It helps lifestyle industries to manage their product data in a more efficient way. The software is user-friendly and easy to use. It also helps businesses to improve their productivity and competitiveness.
It provides three types of plans.
- Business – It starts at 119 Euros per user per month
- Professional – It starts at 169 Euros per user per month
- Enterprise – To get pricing details, you need to contact the vendor for a quote
- All users can get access and find the information easily
- Provides a good user interface
- If you have made a mistake while writing the comment, you can’t delete it
- You can’t see whether your supplier opened the message or the email sent to him
Uses of PDM software
- It helps to access the design files from CAD software. Generally, it is not easy to find these design files.
- It helps to reduce development costs and errors.
- It allows you more visibility across teams and improves cooperation between team members.
- It helps the organization to get complete control over the product information.
- It helps to get efficient output from the design and engineering team.
- It allows the design team to speed up the designing process and helps release the product quickly in the market.
Why is product data management critical?
Product data management is crucial because it ensures that all product-related data is accurately and consistently stored in a single system. This makes it easy to access and track product information, which can help make production, marketing, and sales decisions.
Additionally, good product data management can help improve communication among different departments within a company and between companies and their suppliers and customers.
Product data management can help businesses run more efficiently and make better decisions based on real-world data by providing accurate and up-to-date information about products.
What is the difference between PDM and PLM?
PDM is the process of organizing and managing product data. This includes the product description, specs, engineering drawings, photos, and other related documents.
PLM is a comprehensive system for managing all aspects of the product lifecycle. It covers everything from creativity to end-of-life disposal.
The Product Data Management system is centralized for effectively managing product data and manufacturing processes.
The engineering team can save valuable time and resources by deploying the PDM software.